She left me stranded, but it was my own dumb fault. I replaced the motor mounts. The mounts on the m30 motor have really long bolts on them, so you really have to jack the motor up. Well, I got done and didn't bother to re-check the hoses. Sure enough, it has strained the connections on the upper and lower radiator hoses and loosened their connections. One stomp on the accelerator up Far West Blvd and the upper hose pops right off and dumps all the coolant. Fortunately I was paying attention an pulled over before she overheated (much). This was also my excuse to go ahead and flush the cooling system. It has the green coolant in it, which contains phosphate and can damage the head gasket on the car. So it's flushed and filled with RO water and sythetic, phosphate-free, coolant now.
I was also going to replace the transmission mounts, but one of the bolt heads got rounded off, and is really hard to get to, so I'll probably have the shop do those. I'm kinda paranoid of working under a car like that, I met a guy once who had an engine fall on his head, it was not pretty. So, I'll probably have the shop do the center driveshaft bearing and the transmission mounts.
I have some shift linkage rebuilding parts coming, including a Z3 shift lever. That will probably be the last thing I am willing to do so far under the car, I really don't like being under there. Wish I had a lift....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment