Saturday, September 20, 2008

Waffling

I have really close to deciding to sell the car. I wasn't sure if it was worth the time and $$$ to fix it up. I could spend all that time and end up with a car that I still didn't enjoy. I decided to look at the potential loss if I sold the car now, vs if I fixed it up and sold it. Turns out, the net between the two is pretty close, based on an estimated value of $2500 now vs $4000 if fixed up. So I decided I'll fix it up, but not with top of the line stuff, for example I'll get Bilstien HD shocks and use the stock springs. This will allow me to tinker with the car without losing too much $$$ in the process.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yes, not fun losing money. I've had my 6 now for four years and as you know there's a lot of money in there. Your best bet is to do 80% of the work yourself. You can also look at the shear cost of transportation if you didn't have the car and if you do enough of the work yourself, you'll end up with interesting friends and a valuable knowledge that can translate into other fun projects. You'll lose some of your respect for BMW and gain it back in other areas. If you have another car to use, keep it too as a runner or stand-in for when the other car would leave you without transportation. Everytime I look out the window and see my 6er, it calls to me to take it for a ride, open up the windows and be one with the big 6 motor. Enjoy the ride and Fahrvernugen all in one.